My Love Affair… with my Crockpot

April 7, 2011

I don’t care whether you work outside the home or not, the crockpot has to be one of the best inventions ever made.  I am convinced it was created by a woman (and don’t look it up and bother me with pesky facts), because – and my dear Hubby, I love you dearly – when have you ever seen a man plan a meal more than 10 minutes before it was to enter his gob?

It recently occurred to me that I have been neglecting my Crockpot, so last weekend I went to my friend Google to see what new dish I could put in front of my family this week, that at the very least, they would eat, and at best, they would shower me with the adoration I so desperately desire.

Long story short:  everyone really, REALLY did love this dish.  Though, as it turned out, everyone was a bit too tired and cranky from their respective days to do the adoration thing.  (And I’m sure it was ONLY their exhaustion holding them back!)

So without further ado, here’s the recipe I recently made in our crockpot.  And if you give it a try – and honestly, you should! – be sure to let me know how your family liked it.  Incidentally, if your feedback happens to include any sort of admiration/adoration, I can live with that.

Because that’s the kind of emotionally balanced, generous soul I am.

BBQ/Teriyaki Crock Pot Chicken

1 small onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2-1/2 lbs. chicken parts,  skin removed (I used boneless, skinless thighs)
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1-1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1-1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1-1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine onion and garlic in bottom of slow cooker.  Top with chicken.  Combine remaining ingredients in small bowl and pour over chicken.  Cook on LOW 5-6 hours, or on HIGH for 2-4 hours.

I served this with brown rice (a staple in our house) and fresh veggies and dip.  All three of my kids loved it, as did Hubby (who is still leaning vegetarian, but eats meat now and again).

p.s.  I would have included photos, but we ate it.  ALL!

Ed. Note:  I found this recipe here and modified it.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jennifer@VodkaCalling April 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Now this is a recipe I will be trying! I love my crock pot too, do not use it as much as I should. For some reason I thought more liquid was needed…but I guess you don’t need that much huh?

2 Micki Romanzow April 7, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I, too, so LOVE my Crockpot. I will try this. It sounds yummy.

3 Mary LaVick April 8, 2011 at 4:28 am

The recipe sounds great. I hate to admit it but I am a much more “last minute” cook than my husband is – sometimes it actually drives me nuts because he so plans ahead that it prevents spontaneous change when I really have a craving for something like pizza! :)

4 Tracey Novak April 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I use my slow cooker at least once a week! Especially when we are having company since I would much rather be visiting than concentrating on preparing the meal and forget something. I just wrote this recipe down and will be throwing it in the slow cooker tonight (and put the pot in the fridge) so that tomorrow morning when I get up at 6:00 I can plug in the slow cooker and we will have a fantastic lunch. We are having about 70 4-H members and their families here for a bird house gourd painting project tomorrow starting at 3:00, so I need to eat a real meal before everyone arrives.

5 Lisa Prechel April 8, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I can’t believe that Amy ate this! She is such a picky eater! :)

Made this for dinner tonight. I’m a very picky eater, so I figured that I wouldn’t like it, but it’s really good. I know that Tim will LOVE it. The boys didn’t care for it that much, but then again Cooper doesn’t really like anything! :) It was really easy to make too!

6 Hubby April 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm

This was a wonderful meal, I have never seen the girls ask for more of anything before (well I have seen Pixie ask for more Ketchup/Cstsup or other condiments to dip with.) What a wonderful treat.

Previous post: